- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cooking Easy French Food - Croque Monsieur Recipe Video
|Bread slices/White bread||2 , toasted (Winnipeg-style Rye bread used)|
|Dijon mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Grated gruyere cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Ham shank||1 , sliced|
|For the mornay sauce|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Nutmeg powder||1 Pinch|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 468 Calories from Fat 246
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g42.3%
Saturated Fat 12.5 g62.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 41 mg13.7%
Sodium 727.1 mg30.3%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g11.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.5%
Sugars 4.9 g
Protein 22 g43.4%
Vitamin A 3.6% Vitamin C 0.03%
Calcium 13.1% Iron 11.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Baking sheet
1. Take a saucepan and melt butter in it on medium heat. When the butter melts add the flour into it and stir gently. Let it cook but do not let it change color. Cook till the raw smell disappears.
2. Pour in warm milk and whisk until you have a smooth sauce. Season with a little nutmeg powder.
3. Add some shredded Parmesan cheese and continue to whisk until its silky smooth in texture. Season it with a little salt. Mornay sauce is ready. Set this aside on low heat.
4. Take 2 toasted bread slices (white bread or any of your choice), spread a generous layer of Dijon mustard on both the slices, some shredded Gruyere cheese, a layer of shank ham and more shreds of cheese and then top with the other slice of bread.
5. Place the sandwich on a baking sheet and spoon on it some of the Mornay sauce (Bechamel sauce with shredded cheese) prepared.
6. Lastly top it with some more of the shredded Gruyere cheese and put it in the broiler until it all turns nice and golden in color.
7. Serve warm as it is or with a fried egg or poached egg.