- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Classic Braised Beef Recipe Video
|Bacon||2 Ounce, diced (2 strips)|
|Carrot||3 Medium, diced|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced (3 stalks)|
|Onion||2 Medium, diced|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cracked black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Stewing beef||2 Pound, cut into 2-inch cubes (lean)|
|Canola oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Beef broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Dry red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic clove||4 Medium, peeled|
|Bay leaf||1 Medium|
|Pearl onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 248 Calories from Fat 71
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.9%
Saturated Fat 3 g15%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 61.9 mg
Sodium 538.3 mg22.4%
Total Carbohydrates 14 g4.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.4%
Sugars 4.1 g
Protein 23 g46.9%
Vitamin A 78.6% Vitamin C 11.4%
Calcium 3.7% Iron 9.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
2) In a Dutch oven, saute the bacon until fat starts to render.
3) Add the carrots, celery and onions and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
4) Remove the bacon and vegetables with a slotted spoon and reserve. Discard the bacon fat.
5) In a shallow dish, combine the flour, salt and pepper to taste. Dredge the beef in flour mixture until lightly coated. Shake off the excessflour.
6) In a saucepan, add canola oil and heat on medium-high. Add the beef and lightly brown on all sides, working in batches if necessary.
7) Remove the beef from saucepan and add beef broth, water, red wine and tomato paste. Whisk to blend.
8) Then return the beef into the pan along with the bacon, vegetables, garlic cloves, bay leaf and rosemary. Cover tightly and braise in the oven for 1 hour.
9) Meanwhile, in a pan with boiling water, blanch the pearl onions for just about 30 seconds.
10) Remove the pearl onions with a slotted spoon, put immediately into an ice bath and peel them.
11) Then stir them into the beef braise and cook for another 1 hour.
12) Lastly, uncover the beef braise and allow the beef to brown for 20 minutes.
13) Remove the bay leaf and rosemary sprig, then divide the meat and vegetables among 8 plates.
14) Skim fat from the sauce in the pan, then spoon 1 to 2 tablespoon sauce over the beef and vegetables and serve.