- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Clam Souffle Recipe
|Canned minced clams||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Skim milk||4 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Liquid red pepper seasoning||1 Dash|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
Calories 189 Calories from Fat 56
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.5%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 249.8 mg
Sodium 625.9 mg26.1%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.21 g0.85%
Sugars 1.2 g
Protein 22 g44.2%
Vitamin A 11.8% Vitamin C 21.3%
Calcium 9.9% Iron 95.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Grease a 4-cup souffle or straight-sided baking dish with butter.
2. Drain liquid from clams into a measuring cup, adding skim milk to equal 1 cup. Set clams aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F with a baking pan filled with 1 inch of water.
4. In a saucepan, combine flour, salt and red pepper seasoning and gradually blend in clam-milk liquid.
5. Place pan on a medium low heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and reaches a boil.
6. Take pan off the heat and let sauce cool.
7. In the mean time, add egg whites to a medium-size, dry bowl and whisk them using a wire whisk or electric beater just until they form soft peaks.
8. Add egg yolks to a large bowl and whisk until think and pale.
9. Fold cooled sauce into the egg yolks and blend thoroughly.
10. Stir in minced clams.
11. Gently fold in beaten egg whites until well incorporated into the mixture making it light and fluffy.
12. Turn the mixture into greased dish.
13. Set dish in hot water bath in the oven
14. Bake for 50 minutes until soufflé has puffed and is golden on top.
15. Remove from pan of water.
16. Serve the soufflé straight out of the oven from the baking dish.
17. Accompany with hot buttered toasts