- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Clam and Scallop Chowder Recipe
|Lean bacon slice||2 , chopped|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Leeks||2 , chopped (Use White Part Only)|
|Carrot||1 Large, chopped|
|Stalk celery||1 , chopped|
|Canned baby clams||20 Ounce, juice reserved (2 Cans, 10 Ounce Or 284 Milliliter Each)|
|Clam juice/Fish stock / water / white wine / a combination||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Potatoes||3 , peeled and chopped|
|Dried marjoram||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme/Dried savory||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whipping cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Bay scallops/Sea scallops, cut in half||1 Cup (16 tbs), thawed if frozen|
|Freshly squeezed lemon juice||To Taste (1 Squeeze)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Chopped fresh italian parsley||2 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1850 Calories from Fat 415
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g79%
Saturated Fat 27.4 g137.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 503.8 mg
Sodium 6516.8 mg271.5%
Total Carbohydrates 226 g75.3%
Dietary Fiber 28.1 g112.5%
Sugars 35.7 g
Protein 138 g276.9%
Vitamin A 454.4% Vitamin C 367.4%
Calcium 194.8% Iron 154.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take a medium-sized heavy saucepan, add chopped bacon and sauté, stirring continuously, till a thin fat film appears at the pan bottom. Add leeks, onions, celery and carrots and stir well. On medium heat, cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Cover the pan and on low heat, allow the vegetables to sweat for 2 minutes for extracting the flavors.
2. Drain the clams and keep aside juice. Add liquid to make 3 cups. Keep the clams aside.
3. Take the saucepan, add the liquid and allow to come to boil. Mix in herbs, preferably tied in a cheesecloth bag, and chopped potatoes. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes for potatoes to turn tender. Discard the spice bag. Stir in saffron, scallops, reserved clams and cream. Heat well till clams and scallops turn rubbery.
4. Season with pepper and lemon juice, if desired.
5. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve in soup bowls.