- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Clam and Mussel Chowder Recipe
|Sand clams||2 1⁄4 Pound (1 kg)|
|New zealand green lipped mussels||1 Pound (500 g, optional)|
|Smoked streaky bacon||3 1⁄2 Ounce (100 g)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Parsley||1 Cup (16 tbs) (100 g)|
|Full cream milk||34 Ounce (1 litre)|
|Lardons||3 1⁄2 Ounce (strips or cubes used with pork or chicken roasts, 100 g)|
|Olive oil||3⁄4 Tablespoon (1 dessertspoon)|
|Double cream||285 Milliliter (1 small pot)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
Calories 1131 Calories from Fat 562
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g96.6%
Saturated Fat 10.6 g52.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 160.9 mg53.6%
Sodium 821 mg34.2%
Total Carbohydrates 76 g25.5%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g29%
Sugars 18.8 g
Protein 68 g136.7%
Vitamin A 56.3% Vitamin C 194.8%
Calcium 49.4% Iron 240.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Soak live clams in cold salted water for 3 hours or more but change the water at least twice in the 3 hours.
2. Scrub the shells and remove the beards of the mussels.
3. Dice the bacon and finely chip the onion, garlic, parsley and tomato.
4. Boil and mash the potatoes with butter and milk and set aside till required.
5. In a large nonstick pan, add the bacon and the lardons and sautÃ© on medium heat.
6. Add olive oil, butter and sautÃ© again. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and sautÃ© again in the heat.
7. Add clams and mussels to the pan along with three tablespoons of water. Cover and cook the pan for 3-4 minutes
8. Check the pan and remove the unopened clams and discard them. Remove the meat from half the mussels and clams and discard the shells.
9. Add creams to the pan along with ¾ of milk and reduce this mixture by a third.
10. The chowder will start to thicken. Then add the mashed potato to the pan along with the shellfish meat and shellfish with shells.
11. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
12. Garnish with chopped parsley and tomato and serve immediately