- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cima Alla Genovese Recipe
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, halved and sliced vertically through the root end|
|Carrots||1 1⁄2 Medium, peeled, and cut into 3 x 1/4 x 1/4-inch julienne|
|Zucchini||1 1⁄2 , cut into julienne to match carrots|
|Red bell peppers||1 1⁄2 Medium, cut into julienne to match carrots|
|Spinach leaves||2 Cup (32 tbs), stems removed, shredded into 1/2-inch-wide ribbons|
|Peas||1 Cup (16 tbs), thawed (Fresh Or Frozen)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Prosciutto/Cooked ham||4 Ounce, cut into julienne to match carrots|
|Veal breast||6 1⁄2 Pound, trimmed and butterflied (1 Veal Breast, 6- To 6 1/2-Pound)|
|Hard-cooked eggs||5 , peeled|
|For poaching liquid|
|Coarse salt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (About)|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|Carrot||1 , sliced|
|For salsa verde|
|Extra virgin olive oil||19 Tablespoon (3 Tablespoons Plus 1 Cup)|
|Finely chopped shallot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Anchovy fillets||4 , chopped|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Red bell peppers/1 cup canned pimientos, finely chopped||2 , roasted|
|Red onion||1 Medium, finely chopped to make about 1 cup|
|Celery stalks||2 , finely chopped to make about 1 cup|
|Chopped italian flat leaf parsley||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Pack Loosely To Measure)|
|Hard-cooked eggs||2 , peeled and finely chopped|
Calories 3347 Calories from Fat 2329
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 257 g395.9%
Saturated Fat 72.9 g364.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1764.9 mg
Sodium 7731 mg322.1%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13.1%
Dietary Fiber 9.2 g36.9%
Sugars 18.4 g
Protein 202 g404.3%
Vitamin A 291.2% Vitamin C 328.8%
Calcium 101.4% Iron 69%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. For stuffing: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add vegetables and salt and pepper.
2. Saute, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 5 minutes.
3. In mixing bowl, beat eggs with salt and pepper to taste until blended. Beat in Parmesan until smooth. Add eggs to skillet, stirring constantly.
4. Lower heat and stir until scrambled and set. Transfer to bowl and cool to room temperature. Stir in prosciutto.
5. Cut piece of twine long enough to go around length of veal breast 5 times. Thread twine into butcher's needle, knotting far end.
6. Open up breast of veal on work surface; it should measure 12 x 16 inches.
7. Spread half of cooled stuffing down length of veal breast, leaving a 2 1/2-inch border on long sides. Press stuffing together compactly.
8. Lay 5 hard-cooked eggs end to end down length of stuffing. Spoon remaining stuffing over eggs, pressing it compactly with your hands into high, narrow shape.
9. Pull needle with twine through a hole in center of one short end of veal.
10. Gather together the 2 corners of this short end and sew end together, stitching from inside outward at 1-inch intervals.
11. Now stitch together both long sides of veal breast, gathering them together and pushing the stuffing in as you stitch at 1-inch intervals. Sew together other short end, tying a knot as you sew it shut.
12. Cut off string, leaving about 4 inches at end.
13. Lay large sheet of cheesecloth (about 2 x 3 feet) next to stuffed veal breast.
14. Without picking up breast, flip it over carefully onto center of cheesecloth.
15. Fold one long side of cheesecloth over length of breast, wrapping it firmly, but not tightly.
16. Then fold short ends up, then second long side. Wrap twine around length of breast 3 or 4 times, then bring twine around breast crosswise in a spiral at 1 1/2-inch intervals.
17. Tie twine at one end of breasts.
18. To poach: Choose a deep pot large enough to hold veal; fill halfway with cold water. Add about 1/4 cup coarse salt, sliced onion, sliced carrot and bay leaves.
19. Bring to boil, lower heat, and add veal. If necessary, add additional water to cover. Place a lid directly on veal breast to keep it submerged.
20. Simmer 1 hour and 45 minutes.
21. For salsa verde: Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in medium skillet.
22. Saute shallots and anchovies, stirring until shallots are softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Cool.
23. In bowl, combine 1 cup olive oil, wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
24. Add shallot-anchovy mixture and remaining ingredients. Stir well, adjust seasoning and set aside.
25. When veal is cooked, transfer it to roasting pan.
26. Cover with second pan and weight it to compact the roll. Cool to lukewarm or room temperature, 2 to 3 hours.
27. When veal is cool, remove outer twine and cheesecloth. Cut off the one knotted end of twine, and starting at other end, very carefully pull out stitching and discard.
28. Trim off excess fat, without cutting into the filling. Cut into thick slices and serve with salsa verde.