- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tomato Chutney, Dhaniya (Coriander) Chutney, Khajur Imli (Date Tamarind) Chutney Recipe Video
|For the cilantro chutney|
|Fresh cilantro leaves||2 Bunch (200 gm)|
|Green chilies||3 Large, roughly chopped|
|Garlic cloves||3 Large, roughly chopped|
|Ginger||25 Gram, peeled and chopped (1-inch piece)|
|Lime||1 , juiced (use juice of 1/2-1 lime or lemon)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Use as per taste)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Use as needed)|
|For the date tamarind chutney|
|Date||2 Cup (32 tbs), deseeded|
|Tamarind||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), deseeded|
|Jaggery/Brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Jaggery soaked and dissolved in water)|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|For the tomato chutney|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Red onions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic clove||1 , chopped|
|Ginger||1⁄4 Small, 1-inch piece chopped|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄2 , diced (Optional)|
|Curry leaves||1 Tablespoon|
|Ripe tomatoes||2 Large|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
Calories 139 Calories from Fat 51
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9%
Saturated Fat 0.78 g3.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 143.7 mg6%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.2%
Sugars 18.9 g
Protein 1 g2.9%
Vitamin A 26.3% Vitamin C 33%
Calcium 5.1% Iron 6.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. An electric hand blender
1. Take a large mixing bowl, to it add the fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, ginger, garlic and green chilies, juice squeezed from 1/4th lime and olive oil.
2. Add sesame seeds and salt to taste.
3. Add water and use an electric hand blender to blend all the ingredients well.
4. Serve the coriander chutney with any Indian meal.
To prepare the kajur imli (date tamarind) chutney:
1. Soak the dates in water overnight. (soaking required for a minimum of 4 to 5 hours)
2. Soak the tamarind in water for a couple of hours.
3. Soak jaggery and dissolve it in water. Set aside.
4. In a bowl add the soaked dates and the jaggery that was soaked and dissolved in water.
5. Using a strainer, strain the soaked tamarind into the bowl. Use a spoon to mash the tamarind through the strainer and add in all the pulp into the bowl.
6. Add red chili powder, cumin powder and salt to taste.
7. Using the electric hand blender, blend the date and tamarind mixture well until smooth.
8. Serve this sweet and sour chutney with any Indian snack such as samosa, chaat or pakodas
To prepare the tomato chutney:
1. Heat a pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil, add cumin seeds, asafoetida, onions, garlic, ginger, diced bell pepper and the curry leaves. Stir and saute till all the vegetables are tender.
2. Once the onions and bell pepper turns tender, add the tomatoes and salt to taste. Stir, cover and let it cook for a few more minutes till the tomatoes are completely tender. Then turn off the heat.
3. Add the brown sugar, smoked paprika, a little bit of red chili powder and freshly chopped cilantro leaves. Stir and set it aside to cool.
4. Once cool, using the electric hand blender, blend until smooth.
5. Serve this sweet and tangy tomato chutney as a topping for burgers and as an accompaniment with any grilled or roasted dish.