- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chuckwagon Beans Recipe
|Dried beans||3⁄4 Pound (Red/Pink)|
|Cold water||1250 Milliliter (5 Cups)|
|Smoked ham hock/Smoked pork neck bone||3⁄4 Pound|
|Lard/Vegetable oil||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
|White onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Tomato paste||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Jalapeno/Serrano chilies||3 , finely chopped|
|Chopped coriander||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2775 Calories from Fat 1232
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 137 g210.9%
Saturated Fat 45.8 g228.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 222 mg
Sodium 2445.3 mg101.9%
Total Carbohydrates 270 g89.9%
Dietary Fiber 94.3 g377.3%
Sugars 22 g
Protein 130 g260.1%
Vitamin A 97% Vitamin C 112.6%
Calcium 77.2% Iron 163.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Combine beans, water and ham hock in 4- or 5-quart (4- or 5-L) Dutch oven. Heat over high heat to boiling; reduce heat to very low. Simmer, covered, just until beans are tender but not soft, about 1 1/2 hours.
3. Heat lard in medium skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion; saute until soft about 4 minutes. Add tomato paste, garlic and chilies; cook and stir 30 seconds.
4. Add onion mixture and salt to beans; cook, covered, over low heat, stirring frequently, until beans are soft, about 30 minutes.
5. Remove ham hock to plate; let stand until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bone; chop meat and add to beans.
6. Heat beans until very hot. Just before serving, stir in coriander; serve with Corn Tortilla Chips.