- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chocolate-Coconut Bavarian Pie Recipe
|Unsweetened chocolate square||3|
|Sifted confectioners' sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Coconut||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), grated|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), whipped|
Calories 457 Calories from Fat 269
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.9%
Saturated Fat 21 g104.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 131.8 mg
Sodium 123.5 mg5.1%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g14.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.2%
Sugars 35.5 g
Protein 8 g15.9%
Vitamin A 13.2% Vitamin C 1.7%
Calcium 8.4% Iron 16%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Melt 2 squares chocolate and butter together in top of double boiler; stir to blend. Combine 2 table- spoons hot milk and confectioners' sugar; stir into chocolate mixture.
2. Add 11/2 cups coconut; mix well. Press to bottom and side of greased 8-inch pie plate; refrigerate.
3. Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water. Beat egg yolks lightly in top of double boiler; stir in gelatin mixture, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Cook over hot water, stirring, until custard coats spoon.
4. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until custard mounds when dropped from spoon; beat just until smooth.
5. Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form; add remaining sugar, gradually, beating until stiff. Fold in custard mixture, whipped cream, vanilla and 1/2 cup coconut. Pour into crust, re- serving about 1/3 of the filling mixture.
6. Refrigerate pie and reserved filling until almost set; heap re- served filling on center of pie. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
7. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving and then grate remaining chocolate and mix the coconut to sprinkle over the pie.