- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chocolate Strudel and Poached Pears with Cinnamon Sauce Recipe
|Ripe bosc pears||3 , peeled, cored, and halved lengthwise|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Semisweet white wine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Such As Muscat De Beaumes-De-Venise Or Muscat From Northern Italy)|
|Granulated sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Frozen filo pastry sheets||6 , thawed according to package directions|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Bittersweet chocolate||6 Ounce, finely chopped|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh mint sprigs||6|
Calories 593 Calories from Fat 273
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g48.1%
Saturated Fat 15.3 g76.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40.3 mg
Sodium 169.2 mg7.1%
Total Carbohydrates 77 g25.5%
Dietary Fiber 6.9 g27.7%
Sugars 43.7 g
Protein 6 g12.9%
Vitamin A 14.3% Vitamin C 6.4%
Calcium 5.7% Iron 11.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. In a medium-sized, nonreactive saucepan, combine the pears, water, wine, sugar, and cinnamon, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the pears are tender but not soft. Remove from heat and let the pears cool in the liquid.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
4. Lay 1 filo sheet on a work surface. Lightly brush it with melted butter, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the walnuts. Lay another filo sheet on top, brush with butter and sprinkle with walnuts. Repeat the layering process with the remaining sheets, leaving the top sheet plain.
5. Sprinkle the chopped chocolate evenly over the top sheet of filo and then sprinkle with the cocoa powder. Starting from a long side, roll up jelly-roll fashion into a log. Brush with the remaining melted butter.
6. Transfer the strudel to a baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden. Cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes.
7. Using a serrated knife, cut the strudel into slices no more than 1/2 inch thick.
8. Drain the pears well. Cut each half lengthwise from the stem end into thin slices, keeping it intact at the stem end.
9. Spoon the Cinnamon Sauce onto 6 dessert plates. Fan a pear half out on each plate. Place a strudel slice beside each pear. Garnish each plate with a mint sprig and serve.