- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe
|Bitter chocolate||1⁄4 Pound (4 Squares)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 405 Calories from Fat 77
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.2%
Saturated Fat 4.2 g20.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 136.1 mg
Sodium 140.2 mg5.8%
Total Carbohydrates 76 g25.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g6.1%
Sugars 58.6 g
Protein 8 g15.1%
Vitamin A 3.8% Vitamin C
Calcium 10.6% Iron 15%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Grease 2 cake tins or bundts with butter and dust with flour.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F
3. Into a large basin, sift together, the flour, baking powder and salt, using a fine mesh sieve. Keep aside.
4. Break the chocolate into small pieces into a basin and add the milk.
5. Place basin over a double boiler and melt the chocolate, stirring constantly until all the chocolate melts into a smooth thick sauce.
6. Take basin off the boiler and keep aside to cool the chocolate.
7. In the meantime, separate the eggs, placing yolks in a large mixing bowl and whites in smaller bowl. Make sure the bowls are clean and dry.
8. To the yolks, add the sugar and beat together using an electric beater or wire whisk, until the mixture is thick and light yellow and forms ribbons when dropped.
9. Into this, blend in the melted chocolate, using a wooden spoon or spatula to fold in.
10. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the batter, lightly folding and cutting in and not stirring to vigorously or else the cake will be dense and flat.
11. Beat the egg whites with an electric beater (make sure the blades are washed clean and dry) until soft peaks are formed.
12. Lightly fold the egg whites into the cake batter, cutting in folding and not beating.
13. Immediately pour the batter into the prepared cake tins dividing it equally.
14. Bake the cakes in the preheated oven for about 30 to 40 minutes until the cakes leave the sides of the pans and are spongy to touch. Insert a skewer and see if it comes out clean.
15. Remove the cakes from the oven wearing oven mitts and allow them to rest in the tins for 5 minutes then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
16. Slice the cake and serve it with tea or coffee or frost with your favorite frosting and serve it as a dessert if you like.