- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe
|Cream of tartar||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sifted cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||3 Tablespoon, melted and cooled to lukewarm|
|Semi sweet chocolate||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Vegetable shortening||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 347 Calories from Fat 136
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.7%
Saturated Fat 7.1 g35.5%
Trans Fat 0.7 g
Cholesterol 108.7 mg
Sodium 62.1 mg2.6%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.5%
Dietary Fiber 0.77 g3.1%
Sugars 29.3 g
Protein 7 g13.9%
Vitamin A 5.9% Vitamin C
Calcium 1.9% Iron 11.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar in a large bowl until foamy. Beat in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the meringue forms stiff, but not dry, peaks.
3. Stir together the egg yolks and vanilla in another large bowl. Fold in one-third of the beaten egg whites. Fold in the remaining whites until no streaks of white remain. Sprinkle the cake flour over the top of the mixture; fold in. Very gently fold in the melted butter; do not overfold. Turn the batter into a 9-inch tube pan, spreading evenly.
4. Bake in the preheated moderate oven (350°) for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
5. Invert the cake onto a large funnel or bottle; let the cake hang until it is completely cooled, for at least 1 1/2 hours.
6. Run a knife around the inner and outer edges of the cake. Turn out onto a rack; cool completely, with the crusty portion up.
7. Melt the chocolate together with the vegetable shortening in the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling, water, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Cool slightly. Spoon the melted chocolate evenly over the top of the cake, letting the excess run down the sides.