- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chocolate Roll Recipe
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs), chilled|
|Confectioners sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk chocolate||8 Ounce (1 Bar)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4392 Calories from Fat 2463
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 285 g438.4%
Saturated Fat 161.1 g805.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1820.3 mg
Sodium 816 mg34%
Total Carbohydrates 407 g135.6%
Dietary Fiber 39.5 g157.8%
Sugars 323.7 g
Protein 76 g152.6%
Vitamin A 175.9% Vitamin C 4.8%
Calcium 87.2% Iron 45%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Preheat oven to 375°F.
3. At high speed, beat egg whites just until soft peaks form when beaters are slowly raised.
4. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form when beaters are slowly raised. With same beaters, beat yolks at high speed, adding remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time. Beat until mixture is very thick—about 4 minutes.
5. At low speed, beat in cocoa, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and the salt just until smooth. With wire whisk or rubber spatula, using an under-and-over motion, gently fold cocoa mixture into beaten egg whites just until blended.
6. Spread evenly in pan. Bake 15 minutes, or until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip. Sift confectioners' sugar in 15-by-10-inch rectangle onto a clean tea towel. Turn cake out on sugar; lift off pan; peel paper off cake.
7. Roll up, jelly-roll fashion, starting with short side, towel and all. Cool completely on rack, seam side down—at least 1/2 hour.
8. Meanwhile, make Filling: Combine heavy cream and 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar in medium bowl. Beat with electric mixer until thick; add vanilla; mix well. Refrigerate.
9. Unroll cake; spread with three-fourths of the filling, 1 inch from edge. Reroll. Place, seam side down, on serving plate. Spread remaining filling evenly over the top. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
10. Make Chocolate Curls: Place chocolate bar, still wrapped, in a warm spot just until soft, not melting. With a vegetable peeler, pressing lightly, pare along bar in a long, thin stroke to form a curl. Make enough to cover top and sides of roll; refrigerate.
11. To serve: Arrange chocolate curls over entire roll. Sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar.