- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chocolate Banana Waffles Recipe
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Semi-sweet chocolate square||1 Ounce (1 Square)|
|All-purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||2 Large, separated|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hard sauce||1 Tablespoon (For Serving)|
Calories 515 Calories from Fat 255
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.7%
Saturated Fat 16.9 g84.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 167.5 mg55.8%
Sodium 425 mg17.7%
Total Carbohydrates 57 g18.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.3%
Sugars 23.7 g
Protein 10 g19.4%
Vitamin A 17.5% Vitamin C 7.3%
Calcium 19.1% Iron 14%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a small heavy bottomed saucepan, combine butter and chocolate pieces.
2. Melt on a low flame, stirring occasionally until melted.
3. Meanwhile into a large batter bowl, sift flour baking powder, soda and salt. Stir in sugar. Keep aside.
4. Preheat the waffle iron to medium.
5. To the sifted dry ingredients, add the egg yolks and buttermilk.
6. With an electric beater or wire whisk, beat until smooth.
7. Pour in melted chocolate-butter mixture and stir until well blended.
8. Mash bananas and fold into the batter.
9. To a clean dry bowl, add the egg whites.
10. Use an electric beater or wire whisk to beat them until stiff, forming soft peaks.
11. Add egg whites to batter and fold in gently without beating until a few streaks of whites are visible.
12. Use a ladle or a measure cup to pour 2/3 cup batter in the center of the preheated waffle iron.
13. Spread batter evenly on the grid, Â½ inch from the edge of the iron, using the back of a spoon.
14. Close iron lid and bake the waffle until golden and crisp. This can take about 3 to 4 minutes.
15. Remove onto a serving plate and repeat to make remaining waffles.
16. Serve waffles immediately, as they are being made, with hard sauce if you like.