- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chinese Egg Rolls Recipe
|Mustard sauce||4 Tablespoon|
|Sweet and sour sauce||4 Tablespoon|
|Soy oil||5 Cup (80 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|For rice veggie filling|
|Cooked brown rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated carrot celery cabbage||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped scallions||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs) (Or Grated)|
|Mung sprouts||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs)|
|Hot mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried parsley||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dill weed||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|For egg roll shells|
|Pastry flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For tangy veggie filling|
|Grated carrot celery cabbage and scallion||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Hot mustard||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Curry powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 Dash|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
Calories 612 Calories from Fat 253
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g45.8%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.6%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1488 mg62%
Total Carbohydrates 74 g24.8%
Dietary Fiber 8.4 g33.4%
Sugars 12.5 g
Protein 11 g21.1%
Vitamin A 23.2% Vitamin C 8.4%
Calcium 7.3% Iron 5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. To prepare the dough for the egg roll shell, in a large mixing bowl, sift in the flour and salt. Add the water and bind to make a dough. Knead with you fist until it is soft and pliable. Cover the bowl and keep aside until later.
2. In another mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for rice vegetable filling. Mix well until. Keep aside until assembling the rolls.
3. In a third mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the tangy veggie filling and mix well. Keep aside until assembling the rolls.
4. Divide the prepared dough into equal portions and on a flour dusted board, use a rolling pin to roll the dough and make 6 inch circles.
5. Finish rolling all the shells.
6. Fill the shells with the prepared fillings, filling half the shells with the rice fillings and the other half with spicy vegetable filling.
7. Roll the shells into tight rolls making sure to fold in the edges to prevent the filling from coming out.
8. Seal the rolls using a slurry paste made of flour and water.
9. In a shallow frying pan, heat oil on a medium high flame.
10. When oil is hot, carefully slide in the rolls 4 to 6 at a time.
11. Allow one side to turn golden brown before turning the roll over and frying until all the sides are golden brown.
12. If the rolls are browning too fast, reduce the heat.
13. Remove the rolls on a paper towel and allow the oil to be absorbed.
14. Slice the rolls at a slant, into bite sized portions and arrange on a platter.
15. Insert a tooth pick in each bite.
16. Serve with sauces of your choice.