- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chinese Egg Rolls Recipe
|Boiled ham||1⁄4 Pound|
|Cooked chicken||1⁄4 Pound|
|Sugar peas/Snow peas||1⁄4 Pound|
|Bean sprouts||1 Pound|
|Canned bamboo shoots||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Canned water chestnuts||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Finely grated fresh ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|For egg-roll skins|
|Cornstarch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Plum sauce||1 Tablespoon (Prepared)|
|Prepared hot mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Salad oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Salad oil||1 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2652 Calories from Fat 1407
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 158 g243.4%
Saturated Fat 27.1 g135.4%
Trans Fat 1.6 g
Cholesterol 1601 mg
Sodium 4010.2 mg167.1%
Total Carbohydrates 194 g64.7%
Dietary Fiber 19.7 g78.8%
Sugars 33.7 g
Protein 116 g231.4%
Vitamin A 91.4% Vitamin C 246.2%
Calcium 92.6% Iron 116.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take a heavy large skillet, add 2 tbsp oil and finely chopped peas, chicken, ham, bean sprouts, parsley, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots and sauté for 2 minutes. Using a colander drain well. Season with grated ginger, pepper, ½ tsp salt and soy sauce and keep in the refrigerator the filling to chill.
2. Take a medium bowl, add 6 eggs and using a rotary beater or wire whisk, whisk till eggs turn frothy. Take a 1 cup measure, add ¼ tsp salt, ¼ cup water and 1/4 cup cornstarch and blend well. Mix with eggs and thoroughly.
3. Take a skillet with 10 inch bottom heat slowly till when water is added it starts sizzling. Brush in a little salad oil to the pan’s bottom. Add 1/3rd cup of batter to the skillet. Slowly tilt the pan so that the batter forms an even coating on the pan bottom.
4. Cook till mixture’s underside turns nicely brown and the top side turns firm. Transfer to a waxed paper. Repeat the process for making 6 egg-roll skins. Brush oil to the pan every time the roll skin is being prepared.
5. Take a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt and cornstarch and mix thoroughly. Slowly, add ½ cup of water and beat to a smooth mixture. Beat in the egg, blend well and keep aside.
6. Divide the filling into 6 equal portions and arrange in the center of the roll skins as a narrow long mound, leaving one inch on each of the ends of the skin. Fold the ends over the filling, roll upwards and using a small amount of butter seal the roll. Make all the 6 rolls in the same way.
7. In a medium skillet, add 1.5 inch deep salad oil and heat to 325°F. Stir the batter well, dip the rolls in the batter and using a slotted spoon, add to the hot oil, two at a time. Fry for 5 minutes, turning halfway through, to allow both sides to turn evenly golden brown. Repeat the process till all the 6 rolls are done.
8. Remove, drain excess oil, cut into 1 inch thick pieces and serve immediately with plum sauce.