- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chinese Block Bean Casserole Recipe
|Chinese black beans||1 Pound, soaked overnight (450 Gram)|
|Ginger root piece||1 Small, grated|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Five spice powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Sherry||3 Fluid Ounce (90 Milliliter)|
|Soy sauce||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Sesame seed oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Water chestnuts||3⁄4 Can (7.5 oz) (1 Small Can)|
|Bean sprouts||4 Ounce (115 Gram)|
|Spring onions||4 , shredded|
Calories 208 Calories from Fat 15
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3%
Saturated Fat 0.45 g2.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.13 mg
Sodium 908.1 mg37.8%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.2%
Dietary Fiber 7.3 g29.2%
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 10 g20.8%
Vitamin A 10.5% Vitamin C 17.5%
Calcium 14.5% Iron 13.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take a large bowl and keep the drained beans in it. Add star anise, garlic, ginger and the five spice powder and add water, enough to cover beans.
2. Use a cling film to cover the bowl and using a sharp knife make perforations. Keep in the microwave oven at high and cook for about 10 minutes.
3. Reduce the heat to Medium and cook for 1 more hour or till beans turns soft. Stir once or twice in between.
4. Add thin celery slices, cover and cook, stirring intermittently, on High for about 15 minutes.
5. Mix oil, soy sauce and sherry and cook, without covering, for 5 more minutes or till the liquid is completely absorbed.
6. Drain water chestnuts and cut into thin diagonal slices and add to the bean casserole. Stir thoroughly and heat on high for about 1 minute.
7. Mix spring onions with bean sprouts, top the casserole and serve.