- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chilled Couscous Salad Recipe
|Sun-dried tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs), Sun-dried|
|Sun dried tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Peas||1 Pound, frozen|
|Fresh pea pods/1 cup frozen peas, defrosted||1 Pound, shelled|
|Corn||3 , kernels removed|
|Corn ears/2 cups frozen corn kernels, defrosted||3 , kernels removed|
|Uncooked couscous||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Couscous||2 Cup (32 tbs), uncooked|
|Cucumber||1 Medium, peeled|
|Cucumber||1 Medium, peeled seeded and diced|
|Tomato||1 Large, diced|
|Scallions||3 , trimmed and thinly sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and minced|
|Basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), snipped|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Feta||1⁄3 Pound, crumbled|
Calories 1585 Calories from Fat 284
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.9%
Saturated Fat 10.9 g54.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 50.5 mg
Sodium 1126.8 mg46.9%
Total Carbohydrates 280 g93.2%
Dietary Fiber 30.6 g122.3%
Sugars 18.1 g
Protein 51 g102.7%
Vitamin A 48.5% Vitamin C 100.9%
Calcium 38.8% Iron 62.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a bowl cover the sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water and allow them to macerate for 20 minutes.
2. Then drain the tomatoes, julienne them, and set them aside.
3. In the sink combine ice cubes and cold water and pour the 4 cups of water into a large pot along with a dash of salt.
4. Bring the water to a boil, add the peas and blanch them for 1 minute.
5. Then add the corn, blanch it for 45 seconds and drain the water into another pot, reserving the liquid.
6. Quickly cool the vegetables by submerging the peas and corn in the ice bath, then drain them and set them aside.
7. Bring the cooking water to a boil and cook the couscous, stirring well for 1 minute.
8. Remove the pot from the heat and cover it tightly and steam the couscous until all of the water has been absorbed, approximately 15 minutes.
9. Uncover the pot, fluff the couscous with a fork, transfer to a baking tray and spread it evenly over the surface of the tray to cool.
10. In a large bowl, toss well the reserved peas and corn, the cucumber, tomato, scallions, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and basil and stir in the cooled couscous.
11. In another bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and sugar and pour the dressing over the couscous and vegetables, mixing the salad well.
12. Season the salad with the salt and pepper, garnish it with the crumbled feta, cover tightly, chill the salad for 2 hours and serve.