- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chilled Chickpea Salad with Raisins, Pine Nuts, Vegetables and Yogurt Recipe
|Dried chickpeas/4 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Picked Over, Rinsed And Soaked Overnight)|
|Peanut oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Finely chopped ginger||2 Tablespoon|
|Curry powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Scallions||6 , trimmed and thinly sliced|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, diced|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, cored, seeded and diced|
|Pine nuts||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), lightly toasted|
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped cilantro||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh mint||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Plain non-fat yogurt||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Calories 761 Calories from Fat 192
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g34.9%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g12.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 188.7 mg7.9%
Total Carbohydrates 116 g38.7%
Dietary Fiber 24.3 g97%
Sugars 45 g
Protein 35 g70.3%
Vitamin A 51.5% Vitamin C 124.8%
Calcium 32.4% Iron 58.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a pot cover the dried chickpeas with water and bring the water to a boil.
2. Reducing the heat simmer the chickpeas until they are tender for approximately 2 hours.
3. If necessary, add more water as the chickpeas are cooking.
4. Then drain the chickpeas, rinse them and set aside.
5. In a small skillet heat the peanut oil over low heat and saute the garlic and gingerroot, stirring often, until they are very soft and fragrant.
6. Then add the cumin, curry powder, coriander, cinnamon and nutmeg and saute the ingredients, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
7. To a large bowl transfer the mixture and add the scallions, tomatoes, red bell pepper, pine nuts, raisins, cilantro, mint and the cooked chickpeas.
8. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, tahini and yogurt and mix with the the chickpeas and vegetables by gently tossing the ingredients.
9. Season the salad with the salt and pepper, tightly cover the bowl and refrigerate the salad for 3 hours.
10. Serve chilled.