- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chili Tamale Pie Recipe
|Cornmeal||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil/Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Canned baked peas/Kidney beans||2 Pound (Two 1 Pound Each Cans)|
|Baked peas/Kidney beans||2 Pound|
|Canned tomato sauce||8 Ounce|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Chili powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Canned tamales||1 Pound, drained|
|Canned tamales||1 Pound, drained and cut in half (1 Can)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3663 Calories from Fat 1739
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 196 g300.9%
Saturated Fat 65.8 g329.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 384.5 mg
Sodium 4713.2 mg196.4%
Total Carbohydrates 344 g114.7%
Dietary Fiber 79.7 g318.8%
Sugars 82.1 g
Protein 157 g314.3%
Vitamin A 256.3% Vitamin C 791.7%
Calcium 61.3% Iron 183.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a small bowl, blend the cornmeal and 1/2 cup water until smooth.
3) In a medium-size saucepan, allow rest of the 2 1/2 cups water, butter or margarine and salt to boil, then gradually stir in the cornmeal mixture.
4) Stir occasionally, until thick then cook covered over a low heat for 10 minutes, turn off the heat and keep aside.
5) In a large frying pan, saute the onion and garlic in the oil over a low heat for about 5 minutes or until just tender.
6) Stir in the ground beef, break up the meat and cook until brown.
7 Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt, and pepper, allow to boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
8) In a 12 x 8 x 2 baking dish, press the cooked cornmeal along the bottom and sides, pour in the hot chili mixture and top with the halved tamales.
9) Bake immediately in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until bubbly.
10) Alternately, cool and refrigerate until 1 1/2 hours before the serving time and then allow to stand for 30 minutes at room temperature.
11) Then bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until bubbly.
12) Sprinkle with the grated cheese, if desired and serve immediately.