- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chili Con Carne Recipe
|Top sirloin steak||1 Pound, diced|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Light olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|White onion||1 , diced|
|Ancho chili powder/Pure red chili powder||3 Tablespoon|
|Cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|All-purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Tomato paste||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Beef stock||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Black beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), cooked|
|Smoked cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated (For Garnish)|
|Scallions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), sliced (For Garnish)|
Calories 839 Calories from Fat 352
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g60.8%
Saturated Fat 4 g20%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 78 mg
Sodium 902.8 mg37.6%
Total Carbohydrates 83 g27.7%
Dietary Fiber 13.9 g55.4%
Sugars 11.4 g
Protein 43 g85.5%
Vitamin A 65.2% Vitamin C 28.7%
Calcium 13.7% Iron 43.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Season the diced steak with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat oven to 250 Â° F.
3. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat oil and sear the steak over high heat for about 2 minutes until brown on all sides; stir constantly.
4. Transfer the meat in a plate and keep aside.
5. In the same saucepan, add a little more oil if necessary.
6. Stir in garlic and onion and sautÃ© for 2 minutes until soft and light golden.
7. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in chile powder, cumin, and flour.
8. Return the meat back into the pan and stir to coat thoroughly.
9. Stir in the tomato paste and 1 cup of the stock; bring the mixture to a boil.
10. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes with occasional stirring.
11. Add the beans, remaining stock and a little water if necessary.
12. Taste the gravy and adjust seasonings to taste.
13. Stir in the chili well to distribute evenly.
14. In a dry skillet, warm tortillas for 3 to 4 minutes in oven.
15. Into warm serving bowls, spoon chilies and sprinkle cheese and scallions if desired.
16. Serve with the warm tortillas.