- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chilean Corn And Chicken Recipe
|Chicken||2 1⁄4 Pound, cut into 8 pieces, rinsed well|
|Onion||1 , peel left on and halved|
|Celery ribs||1 (With Leaves)|
|Carrot||1 , halved|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Flat leaf parsley||8|
|Thyme sprig leaves||1 Large|
|Bacon slab||4 Ounce, rind removed, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|All-purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Idaho potatoes||1 Pound, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Thyme leaves/1 teaspoon dried thyme||1 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Half-and-half||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn kernels||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Preferably Fresh, About 3 Ears)|
|Black pepper||To Taste, coarsely ground|
|Ripe plum tomatoes||4 , peeled, seeded, and cut into very small dice|
|Avocado||1 , pitted, peeled, and cut into small dice (Preferably Hass)|
|Lime juice||1 Teaspoon (Or More To Taste)|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), coarsely chopped|
Calories 1138 Calories from Fat 344
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g59.1%
Saturated Fat 12.1 g60.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 143.9 mg
Sodium 530.4 mg22.1%
Total Carbohydrates 141 g47.1%
Dietary Fiber 25.8 g103%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 57 g114.5%
Vitamin A 54.6% Vitamin C 81.2%
Calcium 14.7% Iron 13.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large pot, prepare broth by placing the chicken pieces and all broth ingredients except the salt.
2. Pour enough water (about 2 quarts) to cover the ingredients.
3. Heat over high and bring it to a low boil.
4. Cover partially
5. Simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
6. Skim foam accumulated on the surface.
7. Season broth with salt taste.
8. Uncover the pot.
9. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
10. Spoon chicken from the broth and cool down completely.
11. Discard the skin.
12. Separate meat from the bones.
13. In a bowl, place the chicken covered.
14. Refrigerate it until use.
15. Strain the broth and keep aside 6 cups for the chowder.
16. In a large heavy pot, wilt bacon over low heat for about 5 minutes until it releases fat.
17. Add onions.
18. Cook with constant stirring for another 10 minutes until the bacon is wilted completely; do not brown.
19. Sprinkle flour.
20. Stir constantly and cook for another 5 minutes.
21. Add 6 cups of the reserved broth; stir well to blend with flour.
22. Add potatoes and thyme.
23. Cook with occasional stirring occasionally over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are just tender.
24. Remove the pot from heat and stir in half-and-half, corn, and shredded chicken.
25. Keep stirring and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
26. Season generously with salt and pepper.
27. Heat the soup over low heat.
28. Add tomatoes, avocado, lime juice, and parsley.
29. Serve immediately.