- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chickpeas with Kale, Sun Dried Tomatoes, and Pine Nuts Recipe
|Chickpeas||1 Pound, soaked|
|Dried chickpeas/4 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed||1 Pound, dried ones picked over, rinsed, and soaked for 8 hours|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs) (Plus Additional Water, If Necessary)|
|Sun dried tomatoes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sun-dried tomatoes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Spanish onion||1 Large, peeled and diced|
|Spanish onion||1 Large, peeled|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, cored, seeded, and diced|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, cored|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm)|
|Kale||1 1⁄4 Pound, trimmed|
|Kale||1 1⁄4 Pound, trimmed, chopped, washed, and drained|
|Pine nuts||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), toasted|
|Parmesan||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
|Grated parmesan||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 832 Calories from Fat 289
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g52%
Saturated Fat 6.9 g34.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17 mg
Sodium 744.1 mg31%
Total Carbohydrates 102 g33.9%
Dietary Fiber 26.2 g104.8%
Sugars 20.2 g
Protein 40 g80.9%
Vitamin A 460.5% Vitamin C 376.4%
Calcium 65% Iron 65%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large pot cover the dried chickpeas with 6 cups of water, bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the chickpeas are tender, for approximately 2 hours. Sprinkle the chickpeas with the salt, drain them, and set them aside.
2. In a bowl place cover the sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water and allow them to macerate for 20 minutes.
3. Then drain the tomatoes, julienne them and set them aside.
4. In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the olive oil and sautÃ© the onion, stirring it often, until it is soft.
5. Then add the red bell pepper, saute it, stirring it often, for 2 minutes and then sautÃ© in garlic until it is fragrant.
6. Add and cook the kale, stirring it often, until it is tender such that the water that clings to the leaves should be sufficient to cook the kale and if necessary, add additional water to the pot to prevent the kale from burning.
7. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and season the vegetables with salt and pepper.
8. Add the cooked chickpeas and gently simmer the mixture, stirring it often, for 5 minutes.
9. To serve garnish the chickpeas with the toasted pine nuts and the Parmesan.