- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chickpea Curry - Indian Recipe Video
|For the onion paste|
|Garlic cloves||4 Medium|
|Green chili||1 Medium|
|The rest of the ingredients for the curry|
|Cinnamon sticks||2 Medium|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||To Taste|
|Tomato||2 Medium, pureed|
|Cilantro leaves||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Garam masala||2 Teaspoon|
|Chick peas||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Soaked in water overnight)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
Calories 521 Calories from Fat 130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.1%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 209.7 mg8.7%
Total Carbohydrates 79 g26.4%
Dietary Fiber 21.8 g87.2%
Sugars 17.2 g
Protein 23 g45.1%
Vitamin A 24.5% Vitamin C 59.4%
Calcium 21% Iron 47.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Blender
2. Pressure cooker / pressure pan / slow cooker
1. Soak the chick peas in water overnight. After about 8 hours, drain and set aside.
2. In a blender, blend together onions, ginger, garlic and green chili until you get a smooth paste. Set aside.
3. Heat up a pressure cooker with a couple of tbsp oil. Add cinnamon sticks, cumin seeds, coriander seeds.
4. Add the prepared onion paste, salt, turmeric, red chili powder, stir all the spices in well. Saute for about 2 minutes.
5. Add the tomato puree and stir. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes until the onion paste and tomato puree cooks.
6. Add the chopped cilantro leaves, garam masala and the drained chick peas.
7. Add 4 cups of water, stir, cover the pressure cooker and let the chick peas cook. Wait until you hear about 3 - 4 whistles of pressure release from the cooker. (This would take about 7 - 8 minutes)
8. Serve warm with Basmati rice, roti, naan or paratha.
If using canned chick peas, skip the step of soaking them overnight.