- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chickpea, Corn and Roasted Garlic Soup Recipe
|Dried chickpeas/2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed||1 Cup (16 tbs), picked over, rinsed, and soaked overnight|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Spanish onion||1 , peeled and finely chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Celery rib||1 , diced|
|Carrot||1 Small, scrubbed and diced|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Whole tomatoes||28 Ounce, roughly chopped (1 Can)|
|Chopped rosemary||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh ears of corn/1 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels||2 , kernels removed|
|Garlic bulb||2 , roasted|
|Bean cooking water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Snipped basil/2 teaspoon dried basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated romano||1 Tablespoon (For Sprinkling)|
Calories 462 Calories from Fat 86
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.4%
Saturated Fat 2 g9.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3.9 mg
Sodium 195.2 mg8.1%
Total Carbohydrates 84 g28%
Dietary Fiber 17.9 g71.5%
Sugars 18.9 g
Protein 19 g38.3%
Vitamin A 92% Vitamin C 77.5%
Calcium 17.6% Iron 31.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a pot cover the dried chickpeas, with water, bring to a boil and reducing the heat, let it simmer until the chickpeas are tender, approximately 2 hours.
2. Drain the chickpeas reserving 1/2 cup of their cooking water and set aside.
3. In a Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat, sautÃ© the onion, stirring it often, until it is soft and sautÃ© the chopped garlic until it is fragrant.
4. Add the celery, carrot with a pinch of salt, reducing the heat cover the pot and steam-saute the vegetables until they begin to soften.
5. Raise the heat, add the water and simmer the vegetables for 3 minutes.
6. Add the rosemary, tomatoes and half of the cooked beans bringing the soup to a boil.
7. Then reduce the heat and simmer the soup, stirring it often, for 15 minutes.
8. Add the corn, simmer the soup for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
9. In a food processor combine and puree the remaining beans, roasted garlic pulp and the reserved bean cooking water until they are smooth.
10. Combine the mixture with the soup stirring well and add the fresh basil, salt and pepper.
11. Among 4 soup plates divide the soup, garnish each serving with the grated Romano and serve.