- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken with Olives - Moroccan Tajine Recipe Video
|Whole chicken||1 , skin removed|
|Onions||2 Medium, grated|
|Cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed|
|Ginger powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Food color||1 Pinch (orange powder)|
|Saffron||1 Pinch (Optional)|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon, divided|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Green olives||1 Cup (16 tbs) (olives in lemon preserve)|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs) (as required)|
Calories 995 Calories from Fat 632
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 71 g108.8%
Saturated Fat 17.8 g88.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 281.2 mg
Sodium 905.3 mg37.7%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.5%
Sugars 4.6 g
Protein 71 g142.6%
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 28.4%
Calcium 10.8% Iron 23.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, pepper, salt, saffron and cumin. Add the cilantro and mix well. Pour 1 tablespoon water and continue to mix well till combined.
2. In a large bowl put the chicken, pour the olive oil spices mixture over it and rub well all over to coat. Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for around 1 hour.
3. In a large pan or pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the onions and sauté till translucent.
4. Put the chicken in it and rotate it a few times to fry all sides. Pour water to cover the chicken to half, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes, flip the chicken and continue to cook for another 20 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
7. Place the chicken in a baking dish and pour a little of the sauce from the pot over it.
8. Roast it in the oven for around 60 minutes. Half way through flip it once to roast evenly on all sides.
9. In the pot with the remaining sauce, add the olive. Season with more salt and pepper if required. Cook for few minutes and turn off the heat.
10. In a serving platter, place the chicken, pour the olives with some sauce all over and serve hot.