- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
|Chicken breasts||2 Pound, split|
|Chicken legs and thighs||3 Pound|
|Carrots||2 Medium, sliced (Pared)|
|Onion||1 , quartered|
|Thin spaghetti||1 Pound|
|Mushrooms||12 Ounce (Drained)|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||16 Ounce, grated (4 Cups)|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry sherry||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 1781 Calories from Fat 948
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 108 g165.8%
Saturated Fat 53.1 g265.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 483.8 mg161.3%
Sodium 3420.1 mg142.5%
Total Carbohydrates 88 g29.2%
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g20.4%
Sugars 14.8 g
Protein 116 g232.8%
Vitamin A 122.4% Vitamin C 16.4%
Calcium 79.6% Iron 23%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. To prepare the chicken wash it.
2. In 6-quart kettle place the chicken with 3 cups water, the celery, parsley, carrots, onion, salt, peppercorns and bay leaf.
3. Bring to boiling reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1 hour until chicken is tender.
4. Remove chicken from stock to bowl set aside, strain stock and return to kettle.
5. Bring to boiling and boil gently, uncovered, until reduced to 2 cups for about 30 minutes.
6. Remove chicken meat from bones in large pieces to get about 6 cups and set aside.
To Make Sauce:
7. In large saucepan melt butter and remove from heat.
8. Stir in flour, salt, nutmeg and cayenne until smooth.
9. Gradually stir in milk and the 2 cups stock and bring to boiling, stirring constantly.
10. Boil gently, stirring constantly, 2 minutes until slightly thickened.
11. In small bowl, beat egg yolks with cream.
12. Gently beat in a little of the hot mixture.
13. Return to saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce is hot without letting it boil.
14. Remove from heat and add sherry.
15. To make spaghetti cook it as package label directs, then drain and return to kettle.
16. Add 2 cups sauce and toss until well blended.
17. Remove another 2 cups sauce and refrigerate, covered.
18. To the remaining sauce, add cut-up chicken and the mushrooms.
19. Take two 12-by-8-by-2-inch baking dishes and divide spaghetti among them arranging it around edges.
20. Spoon half of chicken mixture into center of each.
21. Sprinkle 2 cups cheese over spaghetti in each dish, cover with foil and refrigerate.
22. About 1 hour before serving, preheat oven to 350F.
23. Bake covered for 30 to 45 minutes until piping hot.
24. Before serving, reheat reserved sauce, spoon over spaghetti in baking dishes and serve.