- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken Tajine with Carrots Recipe Video
|Whole chicken||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into large pieces|
|Onion||1 Large, diced|
|Carrots||6 , peeled, cored, cut in half|
|Cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely|
|Preserved lemons/Olives/ 1 tablespoon lemon juice||4 , washed|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Ginger powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon (to taste)|
Calories 517 Calories from Fat 301
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g51.7%
Saturated Fat 8.5 g42.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 127.6 mg
Sodium 942.7 mg39.3%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.2%
Sugars 7.8 g
Protein 34 g67.4%
Vitamin A 319.1% Vitamin C 32.9%
Calcium 12.8% Iron 14.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a pan on medium heat, drizzle the olive oil, add the onions, all the spices, and the chicken. Cover the pan and let them cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add the parsley and cilantro to the chicken. Pour water to cover the chicken, close the pan with the lid, and cook for 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes, add the carrots and let them cook for another 30 minutes.
4. During the last 5 minutes of cooking add the preserved lemons (olives or the 1 tablespoon of lemon juice) and cook for another 5 minutes without the lid.
5. In a serving plate, serve this Chicken Tajine with a bread of your choice.
If using preserved lemons, wash them with water before using them as they are salty and might make the tajine too salty.