- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken Paprikash Recipe
|Roasting chicken||4 Pound (Ready To Cook)|
|Salt||2 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Condensed chicken broth||10 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Giblets||1 Can (10 oz) (Gizzard, Heart And Neck)|
|White onions||8 Small, peeled|
|Carrots||8 Small, pared|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), unsifted|
|Dairy sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 985 Calories from Fat 596
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 66 g102.2%
Saturated Fat 23.8 g118.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 374.9 mg
Sodium 1442.1 mg60.1%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g10%
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g21.1%
Sugars 12.8 g
Protein 65 g130.1%
Vitamin A 336.4% Vitamin C 45.7%
Calcium 14.8% Iron 37.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Rinse chicken well and dry with paper towels.
2. Sprinkle inside and out with 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and the pepper, tuck chicken wings under body and then tie legs together at ends, with twine.
3. If necessary, fasten skin at neck, with a skewer.
4. In hot butter in Dutch oven, brown chicken well on all sides for about 30 minutes.
5. Turn chicken carefully with two wooden spoons and do not break skin.
6. When bird is browned, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon paprika and slip a small rack under the bird.
7. Heat chicken broth and add 1 tablespoon paprika, stirring until dissolved.
8. Add to Dutch oven along with giblets and neck.
9. Arrange onions and carrots around chicken in Dutch oven.
10. Boil gently, covered for about 1 hour until chicken and vegetables are tender and baste with liquid frequently.
11. Remove chicken and vegetables to heated serving platter cover loosely with foil and keep warm.
12. Remove rack from Dutch oven.
13. Remove giblets chop fine and set aside discarding neck.
14. In small bowl, blend flour with 1/4 cup water to make a smooth paste.
15. Stir into hot liquid in Dutch oven until smooth.
16. Add remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and bring to boiling, stirring.
17. Reduce heat, simmer 2 minutes and remove from heat.
18. Slowly stir in chopped giblets and sour cream and heat gently without letting it to boil.
19. Sprinkle vegetables with parsley and serve passing sauce.