- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken Cacciatore with Polenta Recipe
|Broiler fryers||4 Pound|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Canned italian tomatoes||17 Ounce|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried basil leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 612 Calories from Fat 387
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g66.3%
Saturated Fat 12.5 g62.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 178.2 mg
Sodium 607 mg25.3%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g7.7%
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 44 g87.5%
Vitamin A 23.6% Vitamin C 27.9%
Calcium 6.6% Iron 18.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
2. In Dutch oven heat oil and butter and brown well on all sides adding a few chicken pieces at a time and brown well on all sides.
3. Remove as browned and set aside.
4. Add onion and garlic to Dutch oven and saute until golden-brown—about 5 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, parsley, salt, basil and pepper mix well, mashing tomatoes with fork and bring to boiling.
6. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
7. Add browned chicken and the wine and simmer, covered, 45 to 50 minutes until chicken is tender.
8. Spoon chicken and some of sauce over prepared polenta and serve passing rest of sauce.
9. If desired, garnish with chopped parsley and serve.