- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Phyllo Wrapped Chicken Recipe
|Chicken breast halves||6 , skinned|
|Phyllo dough||8 Ounce (1 Box)|
|Ground black pepper||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Safflower oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Shallot||1 , finely chopped|
|Spinach||3⁄4 Pound, washed|
|Dry white wine||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Unsalted chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Tablespoon|
|Pistachio nuts||2 Ounce, peeled|
|Low fat ricotta cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 453 Calories from Fat 138
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.7%
Saturated Fat 4.4 g22.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 66.6 mg
Sodium 594.7 mg24.8%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.5%
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 34 g67.5%
Vitamin A 112.7% Vitamin C 30.3%
Calcium 21.4% Iron 27.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Defrost the Phyllo pastry in the refrigerator, overnight. Remove it to room temperature, 2 hours before cooking time.
2. On a meat board, slice the chicken breasts, diagonally, into 3 slices from each breast.
3. In a bowl, season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
4. Grease a baking tray with oil or butter.
5. Preheat the oven to 325° F
6. Use a non stick skillet,
7. Heat oil, over medium heat.
8. Sear chicken slices on both sides until brown. You could also brown meat in batches.
9. Remove the chicken in a plate and keep aside for later.
10. To the same skillet, add onions and garlic and sauté till soft for 30 seconds.
11. Add the spinach and sauté. Cook covered, over low flame, for 2 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
12. Remove half of the cooked spinach to a mixing bowl. Chop this spinach and set aside, to be used as the filling.
13. Return skillet with the half of the spinach mixture to a medium flame.
14. Pour in the wine and the stock, stir to deglaze the pan. Add seasonings and cream and allow the sauce to reduce and thicken. Take pan off the heat and allow sauce to cool.
15. Blend the sauce in a blender to a smooth consistency and pour into a saucepan and set aside.
16. Make the filling by combining the pistachios and ricotta cheese with the chopped spinach in the mixing bowl.
17. Dry the chicken medallions on kitchen paper to remove moisture.
18. On a clean and dry work surface place 3 sheets of the thawed phyllo pastry. Keep other sheets of pastry covered with a damp cloth or towel, to prevent them from dying out as you work.
19. Center a slice of chicken on the phyllo pastry. Top with spinach filling. Alternate layers of chicken and filling, to form 3 layers. Fold the pastry over to make a neat roll.
20. Similarly make 6 chicken and phyllo pastry rolls.
21. Place the rolls on the greased baking tray, seam side down, and brush them with oil.
22. Bake the rolls in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. You may increase the temperature to 450F during the last 5 minutes of baking.
23. Heat the spinach sauce in the sauce pan.
24. Serve the phyllo, chicken rolls over the sauce or pass the sauce along with the rolls.