- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken with Leeks Recipe
|Flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cream of leek soup mix||2 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Water||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
|Sliced leeks||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Evaporated milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped pimento||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried parsley||1 Teaspoon|
|Poultry seasoning||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
Calories 681 Calories from Fat 410
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.6%
Saturated Fat 13.6 g67.8%
Trans Fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 164.3 mg
Sodium 707.6 mg29.5%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g5%
Sugars 5.6 g
Protein 50 g100.8%
Vitamin A 23.7% Vitamin C 15.7%
Calcium 16.8% Iron 21.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Cut the chicken neatly into serving pieces.
2) In a paper bag, mix the flour, salt and paprika together. Shake the chicken in the mixture, several pieces at a time, so that it is coated.
3) In a 10-inch skillet, cook the chicken over medium flame till it is browned and drain off the drippings.
4) Mix the soup mix and water together and pour the mixture all over the chicken.
5) Place the leeks over the chicken and cover the pan. Cook over low flame for about 35 minutes.
6) For the sauce, stir the milk, pimento, parsley and poultry seasoning into the liquid which has been left behind in the skillet. Cook mixture over low flame, stirring, till it has thickened.
7) Place the chicken on a serving platter and pour the sauce all over it. Serve hot.
The sauce can also be served as gravy alongside the chicken.