- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken with Biscuit Topping Recipe
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled, chopped|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 , finely chopped|
|Sliced mushrooms||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cooked chicken||2 Cup (32 tbs), cut into cubes|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
Calories 720 Calories from Fat 339
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g58.7%
Saturated Fat 10.1 g50.6%
Trans Fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 67.5 mg
Sodium 832 mg34.7%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.4%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 28 g56.8%
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 28.9%
Calcium 39.7% Iron 23.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a skillet, heat the oil and add the green pepper, mushrooms and onion. Saute the vegetables for a few minutes and add the cornstarch. Cook for about a minute, constantly stirring.
2) Gradually add the milk and stir till the mixture starts boiling. Then add the chicken and seasoning and turn concoction into a pie plate which is 8 or 9-inches deep.
3) To prepare the biscuits, sift the salt, baking powder and flour and with a pastry blender, cut in shortening till the mixture starts to look like coarse breadcrumbs.
4) With a fork, stir in just about enough milk to make a soft dough which is not sticky. On a floured board, knead the dough and roll out about ½ an inch thick.
5) With a cookie cutter, cut into dough into rounds measuring about 1 /12-inches.
6) On top of the chicken mixture, place the rounds and brush with milk. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes.
7) Serve warm or at room temperature, as preferred.