- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe Video
|Chicken breasts||2 Large|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Cumin||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Green bell pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), diced|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm)|
|Rotel tomatoes and green chilies||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Chicken stock/Broth||32 Ounce (low sodium)|
|Tomato paste||3 Tablespoon|
|Hot water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Black beans||2 Can (20 oz) (drained and rinsed)|
|Whole corn tortillas||5 (cut into uniform strips around 2-3 inches)|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Garnish)|
|Avocado||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced (For Garnish)|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced (For Garnish)|
|Salsa/Pico de gallo||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Garnish)|
|Monterey jack cheese/Cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated (For Garnish)|
|Cilantro||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 1065 Calories from Fat 224
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.1%
Saturated Fat 8.5 g42.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 78.8 mg
Sodium 1248.8 mg52%
Total Carbohydrates 148 g49.4%
Dietary Fiber 30.3 g121.1%
Sugars 17.3 g
Protein 64 g128%
Vitamin A 39.6% Vitamin C 60.8%
Calcium 42.4% Iron 65%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
2. In a bowl, mix cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salt.
3. Drizzle 1 Tablespoon olive oil on chicken breasts and then sprinkle a small amount of spice mix on both sides. Set aside the rest of the spice mix.
4. Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet.
5. Bake for 25 minutes, or until chicken is done.
6. Use 2 forks to shred chicken, set aside.
7. Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a pot over medium high heat.
8. Add onions, red pepper, green pepper, and minced garlic. Stir and begin cooking.
9. Add the rest of the spice mix. Stir to combine.
10. Put the shredded chicken and stir.
11. Pour in Rotel, chicken stock, tomato paste, water, and black beans.
12. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered.
13. Mix cornmeal with a small amount of water. Pour into the soup and then simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
14. Check seasonings, adding more if needed. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 20 minutes before serving. Five minutes before serving, gently stir in the tortilla strips.
15. Ladle into bowls, then top with sour cream, diced red onion, diced avocado, pico de gallo, and grated cheese or any combination that you prefer.