- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken Stew with Biscuit Topping Recipe Video
|For chicken stew|
|Boneless breast chicken||2 Pound, cubed (3 large)|
|Low sodium chicken stock||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Evaporated milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Herbes de provence/Thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Carrots||2 , dice|
|Potato||3 , dice|
|Frozen peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Celery stalk||2 , dice|
|Onion||1⁄2 , dice|
|Button mushroom||12 , slice|
|All purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Kosher salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For biscuit batter|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||8 Tablespoon, cut into cubes|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
Calories 1104 Calories from Fat 377
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g65.9%
Saturated Fat 24.9 g124.3%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 233.8 mg
Sodium 1520 mg63.3%
Total Carbohydrates 106 g35.3%
Dietary Fiber 9 g35.9%
Sugars 12.6 g
Protein 76 g151.8%
Vitamin A 141.7% Vitamin C 73.4%
Calcium 42.3% Iron 45.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
2. Place a large Dutch oven on heat; add carrots, potatoes, peas, celery, and chicken pieces in it.
3. Drop bay leaf, Herbes de Provence, and garlic.
4. Pour chicken stock, cover it with lid, and cook on high until it comes to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat to medium high. Allow it to simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, and chicken is cooked through.
6. Remove from heat. Strain broth into a large bowl. Set vegetable and stock aside for later use.
7. Now, in the same Dutch oven, on medium heat melt butter. Sauté onions and mushrooms in it. Cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms begin to release water.
8. Add salt, pepper and flour. Stir until the veggies are well coated, and rawness is removed from the flour.
9. Add reserved stock and evaporated milk into the Dutch oven. Bring it to a boil.
10. Add cooked vegetables and chicken. Simmer until the gravy thickens.
11. For biscuit batter, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
12. Add herbes de Provence and pepper in it.
13. Throw butter into flour, and mix until it gets a crumb texture.
14. Pour milk and mix to make soft dough.
15. Roll the dough to form a tube. Cut and divide the dough into nine pieces. Give them shape of biscuit.
16. Place biscuits on top of stew.
17. Pop it in oven and bake, uncovered for 20 minutes.
18. Serve chicken stew with thyme garnish.
You can prepare the stew ahead of time, pop it in refrigerator until ready to bake.