- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken Rolls Elegante Recipe
|Mettwurst/Other smoked||1⁄2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Small, minced|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), minced|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chicken breasts||6 , split, boned, and skinned|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Breadcrumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shredded swiss cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Cracker crumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lemon pepper seasoning||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 586 Calories from Fat 212
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g36.6%
Saturated Fat 8.9 g44.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 252.6 mg
Sodium 1267.7 mg52.8%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g12.9%
Sugars 11.1 g
Protein 55 g110.4%
Vitamin A 18.4% Vitamin C 11.5%
Calcium 14.9% Iron 14.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Dice the sausages by removing the casings.
2) Preheat oven to
3) In a large skillet, add sausage, onion, celery and thyme to sauté over medium heat until the meat turns brown.
4) Allow this to cool at room temperature.
5) Take a sheet of waxed paper to place each chicken breast.
6) Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to flatten the chicken breasts to 1/4-inch thickness.
7) In a bowl, add 1 egg, breadcrumbs and reserved sausage mixture to combine thoroughly.
8) Spread 1 tablespoon of sausage mixture on each of the chicken breasts.
9) Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of cheese and a pimiento strip on top of the sausage mixture.
10) Fold the edges of chicken breasts over the sausage filling and seam the edges with toothpicks.
11) In another bowl, add 2 eggs and lemon juice to beat thoroughly.
12) In separate bowl, add cracker crumbs, lemon-pepper seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt and paprika to blend nicely.
13) Take the stuffed chicken breasts to dip into the egg mixture. Roll over the cracker mixture to coat evenly.
14) In a pan, add oil to heat up.
15) Place the stuffed chicken breasts on the pan to brown evenly on all the sides.
16) Drain off the excess liquid from pan keeping 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of pan drippings.
17) Use a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish to melt butter.
18) Arrange the chicken breasts on the baking dish in a single layer. Brush with melted butter taking from the dish.
19) Place the dish inside oven and bake the breasts for 30 minutes or until the meat is well baked.
20) In a heavy saucepan, add the reserved pan drippings to heat up over low heat.
21) Sprinkle flour and keep on stirring until it becomes smooth.
22) Cook for another minute by continuous stirring.
23) Slowly pour in milk by putting the heat on medium to make it thick and bubbly.
24) Season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
25) In a serving platter, arrange the chicken breasts and pour the gravy over the chicken or serve the gravy on side.