- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken Pesto Rice Salad Recipe Video
|Chicken breast||12 Ounce|
|Garlic powder||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Canned artichoke hearts||14 Ounce, quartered|
|Grape tomatoes||1 Pint, washed and halved|
|Cooked brown rice||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Coarse sea salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fresh basil leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Flat leaf parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon zest||1 Tablespoon|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon, crushed (to taste)|
Calories 838 Calories from Fat 192
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34.1%
Saturated Fat 2.9 g14.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 49.3 mg
Sodium 783.7 mg32.7%
Total Carbohydrates 117 g39%
Dietary Fiber 26.9 g107.6%
Sugars 27.2 g
Protein 37 g74.7%
Vitamin A 31.4% Vitamin C 46.9%
Calcium 9.9% Iron 19.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Stir together the diced chicken, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
2. In a large nonstick skillet over a medium high heat, add the seasoned chicken with a tablespoon of olive oil and sauté stirring occasionally for 7 minutes.
3. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
4. To make the pesto add the garlic and sea salt to a mortar and pestle and crush them together until they have a paste like consistency.
5. Grate in the lemon zest. Add in the parsley, basil, and lemon juice.
6. Continue crushing the mixture until the basil and parsley are pretty well broken down then add the walnuts and red pepper flakes.
7. Continue crushing the mixture until the walnut pieces are as small as you want then add the olive oil and stir it all together then set aside.
8. Add the cooked rice to a large serving bowl. Pour over the pesto. Add the chicken, tomatoes and artichoke hearts.
9. Stir everything together and refrigerate.
10. Sprinkle red pepper flakes over Chicken Pesto Rice and serve.
For easier preparation substitute leftover cooked diced chicken breast in the recipe. You could also use a food processor instead of the mortar and pestle to prepare the pesto more quickly.