- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken Mulligatawny Soup Recipe
|Onion||1⁄2 , finely chopped|
|Carrots||2 , finely chopped|
|Cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Plum tomatoes||14 Ounce, canned (With Their Juices, 2 Cups)|
|Chicken breasts||1 1⁄2 Pound (2 Whole Skinless, Boneless)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Whole leaf spinach||10 Ounce, frozen chopped or thawed (1 Package)|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Plain yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Regular Or Low-Fat)|
Calories 335 Calories from Fat 96
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.7%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 122.1 mg
Sodium 322.7 mg13.4%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 5.1 g
Protein 45 g89.5%
Vitamin A 253.4% Vitamin C 58.5%
Calcium 18% Iron 24.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Cut the chicken breasts into 1/2 inch cubes.
2) In a large saucepan, saute the onion and carrots in the butter over a medium heat, then simmer covered over a low heat for about 5 minutes until tender.
3) Stir in the curry powder, cumin, cloves, tomatoes and their juices, then simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes.
4) Stir in the water and spinach, bring to a simmer, then stir in the chicken and simmer gently over a low heat for 3 minutes until the chicken thoroughly cooked.
5) Season to taste with salt and pepper and turn off the heat.
6) Whisk 1/2 cup of the hot soup into the yogurt to temper it, then stir into the hot soup, until blended.
7) Turn off the heat and adjust the seasoning.
8) Laddle into the soup bowls and serve immediately.