- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken-Lemon-Olive-Tagine Part # 2 Recipe Video
|Paprika powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken thighs and legs||4 Pound (cut into 8 pieces)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), mince|
|Onion||1 Medium, chop|
|Preserved lemon||1 Small (rinsed in cold water, pulp discarded, peel cut into thin strips)|
|Green olives||1 Cup (16 tbs), pitted|
|Chick peas||1 Cup (16 tbs) (spiced)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
Calories 1179 Calories from Fat 363
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.3%
Saturated Fat 9.5 g47.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 453.3 mg
Sodium 958 mg39.9%
Total Carbohydrates 67 g22.4%
Dietary Fiber 15.7 g62.6%
Sugars 22.3 g
Protein 120 g240.7%
Vitamin A 31.9% Vitamin C 21.1%
Calcium 14.5% Iron 33.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Needtagine
cast iron skillet
1. Combine paprika, ground cumin, ground ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, ground pepper in the tagine bowl.
2. Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic keep it separately.
3. Season the chicken pieces with the spices in the tagine bowl, coat well with the spice mixture. Let the chicken stand for one hour in the spices.
4. Place a heavy bottomed skillet on the stove and put the tagine pot on it, pour olive oil in the tagine pot and let the chicken sear for 5 minutes on medium high heat, skin side down.
5. Lower the heat to medium-low, add the garlic and onions. Cover and let cook for 15 minutes.
6. Rinsed the preserved lemon in cold water, discarded the pulp, peel cut into thin strips.
7. After 15 minutes turn over the chicken pieces, add the lemon slices, olives, raisins, and 1/2 cup water.
8. Simmer on medium heat and reduce the heat and cook for additional 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and quite tender.
9. Adjust the salt as per your taste and towards the end add the chick peas.
10. After 30 minutes turn off the heat and let it rest for some time.
11. Add the fresh parsley and cilantro before serving.
12. Serve the chicken tagine with couscous or pilaf rice.
If you are using a clay tagine, you will skip the browning step for the onions and garlic, heat only to medium heat and use a heat diffuser on the heating element to prevent the tagine from cracking.
Go easy on the salt, the olives and lemons are salty enough.