- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken Korma Recipe
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm)|
|Finely chopped root ginger||2 Tablespoon|
|Boneless skinless chicken breasts||21 Ounce, cut into bite-size pieces (600 Grams Or 1 Pound And 5 Ounce)|
|Ground coriander||2 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground mace||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Natural yogurt||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter, Not Fridge Cold)|
|Full fat milk||3 1⁄2 Fluid Ounce (100 Milliliter)|
|Green chilies||2 Small, deseeded and shredded|
|Coriander||1 Cup (16 tbs), coarsely chopped (A Handful Of Leaves And Stems)|
|Sliced onions||2 Tablespoon|
|Basmati rice||9 Ounce, cooked with a generous pinch saffron (250 Grams)|
Calories 577 Calories from Fat 113
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.7%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g14.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 92.8 mg
Sodium 188.4 mg7.9%
Total Carbohydrates 71 g23.6%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.9%
Sugars 7.9 g
Protein 43 g86.7%
Vitamin A 8.9% Vitamin C 32.8%
Calcium 18.6% Iron 15.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a deep wok, heat one tablespoon of oil.
2. Tip in the sliced onions and fry them over a medium heat till they are golden brown. This will take 12-15 minutes and the pan will become sticky on the bottom as the onions caramelize.
3. Remove the onions and set aside
4. Prepare the cardamom pods by slitting them partially on the side to reveal the seeds.
5. In a small blender, add a third of the onions, the garlic, ginger and 2tablespoon water. Run the blender till a smooth paste is obtained. Set aside
6. In a large pan, heat the remaining oil.
7. Add the remaining onions, the cardamom pods, the cinnamon stick and stir-fry for a minute or two.
8. Add in the chicken, the ground coriander, mace, black pepper and 1-1/4 teaspoon of the garam masala. Stir fry this masala for 2 minutes.
9. Set aside 3 tablespoons of the yoghurt. Then slowly start adding the remaining yoghurt to the chicken and masala in the pan. Remember to add the yoghurt one tablespoon at a time to get a homogenized simmering paste.
10. Pour in the onion paste and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
11. Pour in the 150ml water, followed by the milk. gently bring to the boil and simmer covered for 20 minutes or till the chicken is tender
12. Add the chillies in the last five minutes of cooking to retain the taste and flavor.
13. Remove the whole cardamom pods and cinnamon sticks before serving
14. Check the consistency of korma before serving. Add a little water to thin out the gravy when reheating the gravy for serving.
15. Sprinkle the chopped coriander over the gravy.
16. Check the seasoning and add more salt if required
17. Serve the korma in individual bowls with sliced onions and powdered garam masala scattered over it.
18. Serve with saffron rice on the side.
The flavors of the curry tend to increase when left to mellow overnight.