- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken in Wine with Vegetables Recipe
|Chicken||2 Pound, cut into quarters (2 Chicken)|
|Bacon||1⁄4 Pound, coarsely chopped|
|Onions||20 Small, peeled|
|Cognac/Brandy||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Shallots||4 , chopped|
|Dried thyme leaves||2 Teaspoon|
|Bay leaves||2 , crumbled|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), pressed|
|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, sliced|
|Carrots||4 , pared and cut in 1-inch pieces|
|Dry red wine||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chicken-bouillon cubes||3 , crumbled|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 , seeds and ribs removed, cut into strips|
|Tomato||1 Medium, cut into eighths|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
Calories 561 Calories from Fat 135
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.3%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 79.7 mg26.6%
Sodium 1270.1 mg52.9%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.4%
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g30.3%
Sugars 17.3 g
Protein 30 g60.2%
Vitamin A 118.8% Vitamin C 70.6%
Calcium 14.3% Iron 24.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash chicken pieces under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels.
2. In a 6 quart Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat bacon and add onions; sautÃ© over medium heat until golden.
3. Using a slotted spoon, lift out onions and bacon; keep aside in a plate.
4. Add the chicken pieces and sautÃ© until golden brown from all sides.
5. Using a metal ladle, slightly heat Cognac and pour over chicken; ignite.
6. Add shallots, thyme, bay leaves, parsley sprigs, garlic, mushrooms, carrot, bacon, onion and 2 cups wine.
7. Season with salt, pepper, sugar, nutmeg and add bouillon cubes; stir well to mix.
8. Bring to the mixture to boiling and then reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 50 minutes (Cover the Dutch Oven with a sheet of waxed paper and then place the lid over this).
9. In a small mixing bowl or 2 cup measure, blend flour in 3/4 cup wine to make a smooth mixture; stir the wine mixture into the liquid in Dutch oven.
10. Again, bring the contents to boiling, stir constantly.
11. When the sauce is slightly thickened, remove from heat and let it cool down.
12. Cover and refrigerate until use.
13. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit when you are ready to cook the dish.
14. To the dish, add green pepper strips and cut up tomatoes.
15. Cover and reheat for 50 to 60 minutes.
16. Garnish with chopped parsley.
17. Serve with boiled new potatoes.
Making the dish in advance will make the dish more flavorful.