- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken Eggplant and Tomato Saute Recipe
|Chicken breast halves||1 Pound, skinned and boned|
|Eggplants||2 Small, sliced in 3/8-inch-thick rounds|
|Unsalted butter||1 Teaspoon|
|Virgin olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Dry sherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Thyme/1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried mushrooms||1 Ounce, rinsed and soaked for one hour in 1 cup warm water, the remaining water strained through doubled cheesecloth to remove grit and reserved|
|Ripe tomatoes||3 Large, peeled, sliced in 3/4-inch-thick rounds, and placed on paper towels to drain|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Scallions||2 , trimmed and finely chopped|
Calories 381 Calories from Fat 166
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.8%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g11%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 68.5 mg
Sodium 307.4 mg12.8%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.3%
Dietary Fiber 8.9 g35.7%
Sugars 8.2 g
Protein 30 g60.5%
Vitamin A 27.5% Vitamin C 50.8%
Calcium 6% Iron 12.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 200°F.
2) Take a large saucepan and boil about 2 quarts of water.
3) Put few eggplant slices in the boiling water for about 30 seconds and blanch. Blanch the remaining slices.
4) Lift the blanched slices with the help of a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels and put aside.
5) Now, take a heavy bottomed skillet and place it over medium-high heat. Put butter and 1 tablespoon of oil and heat.
6) Place chicken breasts over the hot oil-butter mixture and saute one side for about 5 minutes. Flip the meat and sprinkle pepper and 1/8 teaspoon of salt on the other side.
7) Saute the breast on the other side for about 2 minutes over low heat.
8) Next, stir in lemon juice, thyme sherry and 1/4 cup reserved mushroom water. Cover the skillet and simmer for about 5 minutes, until meat is firm.
9) Once done, remove the skillet from heat and put aside. In another large skillet, heat the 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
10) Put the 1/3 of the blanched eggplant slices over the hot oil in the skillet, in a single layer, and saute until brown. Flip the slices and saute the other side as well.
11) Repeat the above process with the remaining eggplant slices and with every batch of slices, add 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the skillet.
12) Place all the sautéed eggplant slices in a serving dish.
13) Now, heat the remaining oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle about 1/8 teaspoon of salt on tomato slices and saute them in hot oil, until soft.
14) Neatly, place the tomato slices over eggplant slices in the serving dish.
15) Further, lift the chicken from the liquid and place it over tomato and eggplant slices and place the serving dish in the preheated oven.
16) To make the sauce, place the skillet with chicken liquid, over medium heat and simmer. Stir in mushrooms, remaining mushroom liquid, 1/2 of chopped scallions, vinegar, and garlic.
17) Reduce the heat to low, and simmer the sauce for about 10 minutes, until it is reduced to half.
18) Take out the chicken dish from oven and pour sauce over it. Garnish with remaining chopped scallions and serve immediately.