- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken Couscous Recipe
|Chickpeas||4 Ounce, soaked in cold water overnight, then drained (125 Gram)|
|Onions||2 , finely chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely chopped|
|Ground coriander||2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Tomato puree||2 Tablespoon|
|Skinned boned chicken thighs||12 , cut into large, bite-sized pieces|
|Carrots||4 , thickly sliced|
|Parsnips||2 , thickly sliced|
|Potatoes||2 , cut in to chunks|
|Courgettes||4 , thickly sliced|
|Water||17 Fluid Ounce (500 Milliliter)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Ready-prepared quick couscous||1 Pound|
|Couscous||1 Pound (Ready Prepared Quick, 500 Gram)|
|Harissa sauce||To Taste|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6034 Calories from Fat 1475
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 165 g254.2%
Saturated Fat 34.7 g173.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1359.3 mg
Sodium 1918 mg79.9%
Total Carbohydrates 767 g255.8%
Dietary Fiber 102.6 g410.3%
Sugars 83.3 g
Protein 397 g793.3%
Vitamin A 947.7% Vitamin C 572%
Calcium 95.1% Iron 286.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a pan, partially cover and simmer the chickpeas for 1 hour.
2) In a couscousiere or a large pan, gently saute the onions, garlic and ground spices in the oil for 5 minutes until softened.
3) Stir in the drained chickpeas, tomato puree and seasoning. Add water, stir and allow to boil. Stir frequently and simmer for an hour, add water if required.
4) Stir in the chicken and simmer covered for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
5) Stir in the parsnips, carrots and potatoes, add water and allow to boil. Cook covered for 30 minutes or until the chicken and vegetables are tender, add the courgettes and raisins midway.
6) In a saucepan, pour 500 ml water, add 2 teaspoons of salt and olive oil, allow to boil, then turn off the heat. Pour in the couscous, stir and let it swell for 2 minutes, or as per the instructions on the package.
7) Stir in the butter, then stir and cook over low heat for 3 minutes.
8) Remove the couscous and stir in the harissa sauce and rest of the butter.
9) Arrange the couscous in a ring with vegetables and chicken in the middle.
Garnish with the fresh coriander and serve immediately with the harissa sauce separately.