- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cherry Squares Recipe
|Unsifted all purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||6 Tablespoon (3/4 Stick)|
|Eggs||6 , separated|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , rind grated|
|Cherries/1 can of 16 ounces sweet, pitted cherries, well drained||1 Pound, stemmed and pitted|
Calories 218 Calories from Fat 77
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.5%
Saturated Fat 4.7 g23.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 121.9 mg
Sodium 109.4 mg4.6%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.8%
Sugars 21.8 g
Protein 5 g9.4%
Vitamin A 6.7% Vitamin C 7.5%
Calcium 5.4% Iron 6.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Sift together the flour and baking powder onto a piece of wax paper. Set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
4. Beat the egg yolks, sugar, lemon rind and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer until the yolks are light and cream colored, for 4 to 5 minutes. Mix in the melted butter.
5. Beat the egg whites with the salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer with clean beaters until stiff peaks form.
6. Carefully fold the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Stir in one-third of the beaten whites. Fold in the remaining whites; do not overmix. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan; the batter should be about 1/2 inch thick. Drop the cherries onto the batter, distributing them evenly.
7. Bake the square in the preheated moderate oven (375°) for 15 minutes or until golden brown and the top springs back when lightly touched with your fingertip. Cool the pan on a wire rack. Cut into 12 equal squares.