- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cherry Puff Trees Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs), scalded|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), sifted|
|Eggs||2 , well beaten|
|Chopped candied cherries||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 827 Calories from Fat 357
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g62.1%
Saturated Fat 11 g55.2%
Trans Fat 4.5 g
Cholesterol 148.5 mg
Sodium 744.6 mg31%
Total Carbohydrates 109 g36.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g5.4%
Sugars 75.6 g
Protein 11 g21.5%
Vitamin A 4.8% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 11% Iron 13.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) Soften the yeast in warm water.
3) Mix the scalded milk, shortening, sugar and salt.
4) Cool to lukewarm.
5) Stir in 2 cups of flour and beat until smooth.
6) Add eggs and yeast and mix well.
7) Beat in remaining flour to make a very thick batter.
8) Beat 1 1/2 minutes or until smooth.
9) Cover and let rise until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
10) Add cherries and stir down.
11) On greased baking sheets, mark 3 triangles, each 8 inches tall and 6 inches wide, using a rubber spatula.
12) Drop batter by teaspoonful within marked triangles - one spoonful at top, two for second row and so on, ending with sixth row of six spoonsful.
13) Add two spoonsful for "trunk".
14) Let rise until double, about 1 hour.
15) Bake at 375°F for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
16) When slightly cooled, brush with Orange Glaze.
17) Serve cold.