- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cherry Compote Recipe
|Bing cherries||1 1⁄2 Pound, stems and pits removed|
|Sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Vanilla bean||1 , split lengthwise in half|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Nonfat plain yogurt/Vanilla bean ice cream||16 Ounce (For Serving)|
Calories 372 Calories from Fat 1
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.35 g0.53%
Saturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.2 mg
Sodium 34.3 mg1.4%
Total Carbohydrates 94 g31.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.3%
Sugars 89.9 g
Protein 4 g7.4%
Vitamin A 1.4% Vitamin C 16.8%
Calcium 4.3% Iron 21.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a heavy medium-size, non-reactive saucepan, place a layer of 1/2 the cherries and spread a layer of 1/2 the sugar. Place the vanilla bean over the sugar and cover with rest of the cherries and sugar.
2) Keep the saucepan aside for almost 1 hour and allow the cherries to macerate.
3) Pour in water and bring the cherries to a boil over a high heat, stirring occasionally. Then simmer on a low heat for about 15 minutes, until the mixture starts to thicken and skim off any suface scum.
4) Stir in the lemon juice and turn off the heat. Discard the vanilla bean and allow the compote to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until serving time.
5) Spoon the compote in dessert bowls, dollop with plain yogurt or vanilla bean ice cream and serve immediately.