- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chelsea Buns Recipe
|Flour||8 Ounce, sifted (225 Gram)|
|Yeast||3 Ounce (15 Gram)|
|Caster sugar||5 Milliliter|
|Warm milk||4 Fluid Ounce (100 Milliliter)|
|Butter/Lard||5 Ounce, softened|
|Egg||1 Medium, beaten|
|Melted butter/Margarine||2 Ounce|
|Mixed dried fruit||175 Gram|
|Mixed candied peel||1 Ounce|
|Mixed spice||5 Teaspoon|
|Soft brown sugar||2 Ounce|
|Clear honey||45 Milliliter|
Calories 446 Calories from Fat 254
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44%
Saturated Fat 13.4 g67.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 69.9 mg
Sodium 506.7 mg21.1%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.5%
Sugars 13.2 g
Protein 11 g21.1%
Vitamin A 13.4% Vitamin C 7.4%
Calcium 3.6% Iron 12.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Coat an 18 cm (7 in) square tin with grease.
2. Into a bowl put 50 g (2 oz) of the flour.
3. Put in the yeast, white sugar and milk and mix to a batter.
4. Let it remain in a warm place for 15—20 minutes until frothy.
5. Into a bowl add the remaining flour and the salt and rub or cut in the fat until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
6. Put in this to the yeast mixture -with the egg and mix to a soft dough that leaves the sides of the bowl clean.
7. On to a floured board turn and knead for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
8. Inside a large, well oiled plastic bag place and leave in a warm place until doubled in size.
9. This should take 1—1 1/2 hours.
10. Turn out and knead again until smooth.
11. Roll out to a rectangle about 30 x 24 cm (12 x 9 1/2 in).
12. Coat the entire surface with the melted butter or margarine.
13. Combine together the fruit, peel, spice and brown sugar, and sprinkle all over the dough.
14. Starting from a long side, roll the dough up to form a long tube.
15. Using a little water seal the ends.
16. Cut crossways into 9 equal slices and place closely together in the prepared tin, cut side down.
17. Cover using a plastic bag and leave in a warm place for about 30 minutes until doubled in size.
18. Heat the oven to 375°F (190°C/Gas 5).
19. Remove the bag and let the buns bake for 30-35 minutes until golden.
20. Take out of the oven and turn out on to a wire rack so that the top side stays uppermost.
21. While still warm, pull apart and brush with the honey.
22. Leave to cool.