- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Greek Spinach Spanokopita Recipe Video
|Onion||1 Small, diced|
|Unsalted butter||4 Ounce, melted|
|Spinach leaves||12 Ounce, blanched and shocked|
|Mint leaves||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Feta cheese||1 Pound, crumbled|
|Eggs||1 Large, beaten|
|Salt and pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Phyllo pastry dough||1⁄2 Pound, sheets|
|Mint leaves||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 290 Calories from Fat 184
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.1%
Saturated Fat 13.1 g65.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 85.9 mg28.6%
Sodium 811.9 mg33.8%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g6.2%
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 10 g19.9%
Vitamin A 75.5% Vitamin C 18.5%
Calcium 27.3% Iron 12%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a saute pan on medium heat, add onion and saute it for 2 minutes.
3. In a mixing bowl, add spinach, feta cheese and mix until well combined.
4. Add mint, salt, pepper, sauteed onions and mix well. Set aside to cool the sauteed onions.
5. Once the spinach-onion mixture is cooled, stir in the egg and mix until well combined.
6. On a chopping board, place the phyllo sheet and brush it with butter. Place another sheet, brush it with butter and place a third sheet over this. Using a sharp knife cut the 3 sheets lengthwise into 4 or 5 strips.
7. Take a tablespoon of the spinach-onion mixture and add to one corner of a strip. Fold the strip in a small triangle, flip it over then fold it in another triangle, flip it over and then fold it for the last time. Repeat this step for all the strips and set aside.
8. Transfer these onto a baking sheet and brush them well with butter. Bake them in the preheated oven at 350 degrees fro 20 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Serve these spinach spanokoitas hot garnished with mint leaves.