- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Striped Bass with Roasted Poblano Vinaigrette and Yellow Pepper Grits Recipe Video
|For yellow pepper grits and fish|
|Yellow bell pepper||3 Large, roasted, peeled, and seeded|
|Posol/Hominy||32 Ounce, rinsed and drained (2 cans)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Spanish onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely chopped|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|White cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
|Striped bass fillets/Haddock||4 Large, skin on|
|Fresh cilantro||1⁄4 Bunch (25 gm), chopped|
|For roasted poblano vinaigrette|
|Poblano chili||2 , roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), chopped|
|Canola oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 1209 Calories from Fat 769
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 87 g133.7%
Saturated Fat 25.5 g127.3%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 128.6 mg
Sodium 836.8 mg34.9%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.4%
Dietary Fiber 9.7 g38.7%
Sugars 7.5 g
Protein 57 g114.1%
Vitamin A 74.7% Vitamin C 333.9%
Calcium 36.2% Iron 18.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) For roasted poblano vinaigrette: In a blender or food processor, combine the poblanos, 2 tablespoons cold water, the vinegar, garlic, honey, canola oil, and salt and pepper and puree until smooth. This can be made up to 8 hours in advance and refrigerated.
2) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
3) Brush the peppers with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven on a baking sheet, and rotate until charred on all sides, 15-17 minutes. Remove from the oven and place the roasted peppers in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit for 15 minutes to allow the skin to loosen. Then peel, halve, and seed.
4) Place 2 of the yellow peppers in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the posole and pulse until coarsely ground, 4 to 5 pulses (do no blend until smooth, or the posole will get gummy). Finely dice the remaining pepper and set aside.
5) Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the posole-yellow pepper puree and the cream and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until thickened and the cream is absorbed; if the mixture appears too dry, add more heavy cream or water. Fold in the diced yellow pepper and Cheddar.
6) Heat a large nonstick sauté pan or grill pan over high heat until almost smoking. Brush the bass (or haddock) on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook, skin side down, for 2 to 3 minutes, till golden brown. Turn over and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes, until just cooked through.
7) Place a heaping mound of yellow pepper grits on 4 dinner plates.
8) Place a fillet on top of each mound, and drizzle with the roasted poblano vinaigrette.
9) Garnish with cilantro and serve.