- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Cheddar Straws Recipe
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Ground red pepper||To Taste|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 Sticks)|
|Cheddar cheese||8 Ounce, shredded|
|Ice water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3441 Calories from Fat 2286
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 260 g400.4%
Saturated Fat 163.8 g819.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 722 mg
Sodium 2421 mg100.9%
Total Carbohydrates 194 g64.8%
Dietary Fiber 7.1 g28.4%
Sugars 2.1 g
Protein 84 g168.7%
Vitamin A 163.8% Vitamin C 1.1%
Calcium 173.4% Iron 74.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. With fork, stir in cheese and water just until mixture forms a soft dough and leaves side of bowl. On lightly floured surface, with floured hands, pat dough into 6" by 6" square. Wrap dough with plastic wrap and chill in freezer for 30 minutes for easier handling.
3. On lightly floured surface, roll chilled dough into 18" by 8" rectangle. Starting from one 8-inch end, fold one-third of dough over middle one-third; fold opposite one-third over both to make 6" by 8" rectangle.
4. Repeat rolling and folding as in step 3. Wrap in plastic wrap; freeze 30 minutes again.
5. Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove dough from freezer; roll and fold as in step 3 again. Then, roll dough into 18" by 12" rectangle. Sprinkle dough rectangle lightly with ground red pepper; cut lengthwise in half. Cut each half crosswise into thirty-six 6" by 1/2 strips.
6. Place strips 1/2 inch apart on ungreased large cookie sheets, twisting each strip twice and pressing ends against cookie sheet (this prevents strips from uncurling during baking).
7. Bake cheese straws 15 minutes or until golden; remove from cookie sheets; cool on wire racks. Store in tightly covered container.